With the everyday hustle in most emerging urban settlements in Nigeria today most people are too busy with schedules and business to do their laundry. For a lot of city dwellers working 9-5 daily laundry is a herculean task. A lot of these set of people prefer to use the walking neighborhood laundry service.
Weekends is used mainly for home cleaning, hanging out to chill with friends, some engage in religious activities or taking the kids out. Only a minute percentage take out time to do their dirty clothes some good.
With these set of lazy or should I say busy people in Nigeria, laundry service business is now so lucrative since the market is available and abundant.
Skills needed to start a laundry business
If you must be successful in the laundry service business you must be physically involved in the process, then you need to acquire and learn some skills. It is advised to have experience in the laundry business first. Working at another laundry, even if it is for a cheap pay will expose you to various fragments of the business such as cloth handling, customer relations, records and book-keeping.
But you can get a trained personnel with vast experience in the business while you be in a managerial capacity. Must have laundry skills include; cloth handling/sorting, cloth folding, starching, washing, dry cleaning, ironing, dealing with white clothes/special fabrics and so on.
- You can start small and expand later
- Easy and comfortable to start
- Very lucrative with huge available market
- Gives you time as an entrepreneur to venture into other business
- Depending on the scale you wish to grow; you will become an employer of labour by employing between 1-10 employees in short time.
As an entrepreneur if the benefits seems to tickle your fancy, come onboard and lets make some money while engaging others.
Steps to Starting a Laundry Business:
Follow the following steps to start a laundry business in Uyo, or any city in Nigeria:
1. Find a good location: A good location is very important to your laundry business. Where your business is located can help it tremendously. It is advisable to find a location with less competition. It should be in a residential areas, that is places where people are living. An estate is a good place but it should be at a place where there are lots of vehicular and human movement.
2. Register your business: Get the business name registered and get all important receipts and documents. Depending on your location you might require some permits.
3. Buy Equipments Needed to start a laundry service business: The equipments you will buy depends on the scale you wish to start with. Remember to start small and then expand.
4. Market your Business: At this point you are all set to go. You should focus on marketing your business. This is what will bring customers to you and ultimately help you make money. Don’t over look it, put a lot of energy into marketing. Below are some ways
you can market you laundry business:
- Do a flex banner by the shop to let people know what you do
- Use social media. People spend most of their time these days on social media, why not use it to promote your new business?
- Offer discount. People love discounts, offer a discount like 20% off.
- Print flyers and share in your neigbourhood
- Word of mouth. Tell people you know and urge them to help you tell their friends
- Do home delivery and pick up.
- Dress well and go to offices and inform the workers of your services
- Be fair in your prices.
The laundry service business is a readily available largest small business venture with sizable customer base, has overtime proven to be a highly profitable for new and existing entrepreneurs. With a good location, highly skilled workers, and an exceptional customer service, you can grow a successful laundry service business in less than a year.
Once you get a steady stream of regular and faithful customers, it is important that you don’t just spend all your profits. Always remember how you started and save a portion of your weekly profit for future expansion.